Thursday, April 29, 2010

Oral Health is a Big Deal. The Exam? No Sweat.

At this weekend's Maryland Day, I was presented with an interesting thought: Why don't dentists regularly offer oral health exams to check for cancer? It seems an issue, as the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and NIH predict 35,000 cases of oral cancer and 7,500 deaths resulting in the U.S. this year.

I received my first oral health exam, offered in the School of Public Health by visiting reps from the University of Maryland Dental School. I didn't know what to expect, but it was painless and didn't take long at all. First, they felt my neck, jaw and face for lumps or other signs of cancer. They pulled my lips back, looking for sores, lumps or white or red patches. They also checked for swelling or abnormal color or texture on or around my tongue, and the roof and floor of my mouth for any abnormalities.

Aside from a few wisdom teeth that are due to come out, I am happy to say I have no signs of oral cancer. It was very little hassle for a good bit of peace of mind. Thanks to the Dental School for visiting our campus on Maryland Day to perform the exams.


Oral cancer is usually preventable by avoiding tobacco use and alcohol, and also by eating plenty of fruits and vegetables. If you're concerned about your oral health, ask your dentist about getting an exam. Here are some symptoms and signs that the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the NIH tell us to watch out for:
  • A sore, irritation, lump or thick patch in your mouth, lip or throat
  • A white or red patch in your mouth
  • A feeling that something is caught in your throat
  • Difficulty chewing or swallowing
  • Difficulty moving your jaw or tongue
  • Numbness in your tongue or other areas of your mouth
  • Pain in one ear without hearing loss

4 comments:

  1. Glad that you are a truly healthy turtle. Thanks for posting the important things to look for so we can all be healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oral health does need to be maintained properly so that we avoid the mouth of the disease and always fresh. The mouth is an important organ because of the food we eat must pass through the mouth, if our mouths are not healthy then we can not enjoy the food we eat. Thanks ~ IBS

    ReplyDelete
  3. The existence of injury or illness on the face, neck, and ulcer or canker sores in the mouth that do not disappear within 2 weeks. This is one symptom of oral cancer. we should really pay attention. Thanks for sharing. ~ Penyakit Mulut

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a dental hygienist and I didn't even know this information! Thank you so much for posting it. I'll be on the lookout for these symptoms when treating my patients.

    ReplyDelete