Monday, March 26, 2012

School of Public Health Student Ambassadors Program

Editor's note: This semester, the School of Public Health launched a new  one-credit undergraduate course called the "School of Public Health Ambassador Program" (SPHL298A) in which students who are passionate  about public health engage in activities designed to attract new students to the School of Public Health. Each student will contribute to the Healthy Turtle blog this semester to provide a window into what's important to School of Public Health undergraduate students.

The School of Public Health and Me

By Samirna Esteve
Kinesiology Major


Samirna Esteve in front of the university's Center for Health and Wellbeing
Out of all the people in the world, I’m probably one of the most energetic people you will ever meet. You might find me mentoring elementary students, helping pack meals for a homeless shelter, or working out on a treadmill or simply walking to the library. This is because it has always been my philosophy that my educational experiences will not only come from books and professors.  Thus, I grab at opportunities to do something new; I am eager to learn. However because I am
interested in everything it took me a while to decide what major to focus on.
When I came into University of Maryland, I was a Letters and Sciences major hoping to quickly figure out the right major for me.  I knew I wanted to do something positive for communities all around, but that could be anything! For sure, I wanted to be in
a major that directly related to my everyday active life. When I went to talk
to my advisor Mr. Thomas Steen, he suggested kinesiology.  When he first said it, I was like “uh what?” I never heard of it. But after our meeting I went back to my room and looked up
some of the kinesiology classes taught. I was delighted at the fact that they
offered not only theory based classes but activity classes as well. I instantly
knew this was the right choice for me. I thought to myself not only would I be
learning about how my body functions but I get to play some sports as well!


My first kinesiology class was Motor Control and Learning and it was an eye-opening experience. Learning about the importance of perceptual and sensory processes, the numerous theories psychologists developed, and understanding motor control changed how I view the world.  Moreover, I found it intriguing how these psychologists and researchers were just like me, in that they wanted to learn everything about the human body and mind. They had so many ideas, some of which I found amusing. For example, the theory that the brain
controlled everything related to motor control had so many loopholes but for a long time many people believed in it.


In addition, I have been able to take volleyball and yoga classes as part of my educational
experience. It is awesome. By taking volleyball I have been able to recognize some of my physical weakness. And yoga encourages positive energy; it’s the perfect way to start the day.
Each time I step into School of Public Health, I come out a more motivated student.  I love sharing the things I learn.  Additionally, because the School of Public Health provides so many activities like Zumba, and aerobics classes, I can continue to nurture my spirited self.  Most importantly I love the fact that the School of Public Health suits me 100%. Now as a School of Public Health Ambassador, I am devoted to sharing my love for School of Public Health. Although I once was just a carefree student with no direction, I am an now an energetic kinesiology student ready to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment