Thursday, February 23, 2012

School of Public Health Student Ambassadors Program

Editor's note: This semester, the School of Public Health launched a new one-credit undergraduate course called the "School of Public Health Ambassador Program" (SPHL298A) in which students who are passionate about public health engage in activities designed to attract new students to the School of Public Health. Each student will contribute to the Healthy Turtle blog this semester to provide a window into what's important to School of Public Health students. This is the first in the series of student blogs.

Soon Kwon (left) and a former co-worker at the Eppley Recreation Center
Let's Move
by Soon Kwon
Senior Community Health major, Leadership Studies minor

I was never an active person. I have always hated “PE” since elementary school. I was one of those kids who always made up excuse to sit in the corner of the gym (or skip class). I don’t know why, I just didn’t enjoy exercise in general, and in turn, I never was good at any sports. Eventually, I became the kid who got picked last for every team. My inactivity led to obesity, which led to social isolation and being bullied. All this resulted in a deep self-hatred and lack of confidence.

Then, I came to Maryland. My roommate was an amateur bodybuilder, and with his advice and pep talks, I was able to get some motivation to go to the gym. I still remember my first day at the university gym, the Eppley Recreation Center. ‘What are all those machines for?’ ‘Will I be able to stick with this?’ ‘Aren’t I too fat or ugly to be here?’ My doubts raged within me. Although it was profoundly challenging, I stuck to my plan to workout with my roommate so I would stay motivated.

In my sophomore year, I applied for a job at Eppley Recreation Center. I had just declared my major in Community Health (back then called Public Health) and was looking for a campus job that could be related to my major or career plan. I thought, “What better place to begin the practice of promoting health than in myself?” It was one of the best choices I have ever made.

Working there has motivated me to stay physically active and have a good diet. It also helped me make friends who are interested in fitness and well-being. By putting myself into a different environment, I was able to slowly change my workout habits and diet. I couldn’t just sit around, do nothing, and complain anymore.

I now workout at least four times a week. If I miss a scheduled routine, it bothers me so much that I absolutely have to make that session up for myself. If I don’t, then I feel unable to function because I am so used to having a workout plan. I have taken many kinesiology activity classes, including jogging, weight lifting, swimming, yoga, and currently martial arts, for my own pleasure. Each class has taught me so much about the benefits of physical activity that I could feel how different I was. As a result, I also started eating more healthful meals. I looked better, felt better, and lived better; I felt born again.

It’s hard to start anything in life. The first time is almost always the hardest. Once you push through it repeatedly, it becomes habitual. Only then can you make the important changes in your life. I am not saying that after reading this, you should go apply for a job at the Eppley Recreation Center or any other gym; all I am saying is that you should try your best to motivate yourself and when possible, change your surroundings and environment. I really would like to challenge my fellow students and Marylanders to make these changes, because if I can do it, you can do it.

Remember, I am the kid who used to be picked last for every game.

No comments:

Post a Comment